Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Squirrel Girl Costume!

This year, I decided to go to Dragon*Con for the first time. I'm a bit of an introvert, but any opportunity to dress up is a good time for me. Hence, the Squirrel Girl costume was born.
The biggest difficulty was making the leotard out of non-stretchy fabric. Fur (or faux-fur,) does not budge at all. And beyond that, there are not many super-hero patterns out there. So, the pieces were made by my rolling on the fabric and making marks with a piece of chalk. (Theme: Shana doesn't use patterns.)

For the first day or so, the main piece looked more like a caveman tunic than a uniform for fighting crime. With assistance from my mum to make marks for darts and leg holes, we finally got it closer to par.

The tail was easy, and the shirt, leggings, and ammo belt were bought.
I am planning on tailoring it better for next year... and animating the tail. (muhahaha)

1 comment: