Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Custom Pushpins

I wanted some owl pushpins for the cork-board in my office, but I didn't want to spend a ton of money, and all the owl pushpins I saw were way cutsier than what I had in mind.  So I came up with this quick fix, for about $5.00.


Supplies!

Supplies needed:

Flat pushpins
Buttons or other embellishments
Hot glue gun and hot glue
Wire-cutters or snips, if using buttons with shanks


Snip, snip!

Step one:  If using buttons with shanks, cut them off as close to the button as possible.  Your goal is to get the back of the button as flat as you can.

Gluing these is a bit of a pain.

Step two:  Put a dollop of hot glue on the back of your button, and press a push pin into it.  You may need to try a couple of times, as the "flat" pushpins actually have a bit of a dome to them.  Hold the pieces together until the glue cools.


AND DONE.
 Step three:  Put your pins in your cork board!


Please note that this was a quick-n-dirty project, hence the hot glue.  I'm guessing a few of these will pop off with use, and I will probably just hot-glue them back on.  You could easily use a different adhesive (maybe superglue?) for a more sturdy end product.

No comments:

Post a Comment