Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Knitting vs. Crochet

Knit or crochet?

Ah, the age-old question! A war to be fought on the battlefield of yarn! Who shall come out victorious? Which craft is better?

They're both pretty rad, actually.

I learned to crochet when I was younger. My grandmother is an accomplished crocheter and from the time I was about nine until, well, now...I would pick crocheting back up, put it down, pick it up, etc. At some point in my childhood, I had attempted knitting but I didn't know anyone who knew how so I gave it up (this was in the pre-youtube years...in the long, long ago).

Now that I'm older, wiser and have access to the internet, I decided to give knitting a try again. I'm not quite sure what pushed me in that direction, but here I am now. Blogging primarily about the craft and loving every minute of it. Frankly, it's now my yarn craft of choice.

That's not to say I won't ever crochet anything ever again, from what I've read it's far easier to make stuffed animals and the like with crochet and you can't beat it for making larger items (afghans, etc). However, I pretty much suck at crochet. The issue I've always had is my inability to keep the correct number of stitches. No matter what I did I would either accidentally increase, decrease or both. I can't tell you the number of scarves I started that ended up being Barbie skirts because they started to sharply decrease. For whatever reason, it's far easier for me to keep the correct number of stitches while knitting. I think it's because the stitches stay on a needle and it's far more obvious which stitch I go into next. And that works for me.

That being said, I still think crochet is awesome and definitely has its merits. I've made some sweet hats with it and 3/4 of a stuffed giraffe.

So, dear readers, which yarn craft do you prefer? Knitting, crocheting, both or none? I don't know, you tell me!

This post was originally published on Mallory's personal blog over at hayiaf.com. Check it out for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment