I saw a pair of sparkly shoes on Pinterest and fell in love only to find that sparkly shoes are generally in the price range of making my wallet weep. So I said screw it: I'll make my own.
After perusing Pinterest, I settled on this seemingly simple method. I found the shoes at Payless for $20 and procured the glue and glitter at Jo Ann's for under $10. I choose the bright pink after almost settling for something more practical like silver or black.
I coated both shoes with clear coat of the Mod Podge and then added a layer of glitter mixed with the glue. It then became apparent to me that covering the shoes by painting glitter on layer by layer would take forever so I then shook the glitter over the still wet shoes (cover floor well if using this method: we'll be finding glitter for years because I thought covering a small area would be sufficient). After another layer of glitter/mix, I decided I'd achieved the desired glitter event horizon and applied another layer of just glue as a seal. I was pretty pleased with myself.
And then two days later at a wedding reception, I realized that the glitter covering was cracking and as the night wore on chunks of glitter were falling off the shoes. The husband thinks that I should have broken in the shoes before giving them their makeover, I'm wondering if a different glue would have been given me better results. I have a few months until we have another wedding to attend so there's time to decide whether of not to make the necessary repairs. I'm not sure if I should remove the glitter already on the shoes or just do a spot repair. I'll report back later.